A team needs a purpose, a raison d’être, an objective.
Without a purpose it isn’t really a team, just a bunch of people.
If you agree, then it seems reasonable that the clearer that purpose, the stronger the teamwork.
Is it clear what the purpose of your team is?
- Is it memorable?
- Can you write it down?
- Can your team write it down?
- Or is it management fluff?
- Do you know how well you have done?
- Can you measure how you are doing?
- Do you discuss progress?
- Honestly, with your team (not just your boss)?
- Do you talk with your team about how you could meet your purpose better?
- And then do something about it?
- Who decided what that purpose is?
- Does it support the teams around you?
- And the whole organisation?
- Does anybody really care?
- Or should you be doing something more useful with your time?
Lots of questions
All of them obvious. But can you answer them?
If you can’t then you may be managing people but without a purpose you can’t be managing a team.
If you enjoyed this post click here to have updates delivered to your inbox
Image by PV KS
Read another opinion