This morning on the train from Nottingham into London the “train manager” made an announcement:
“Due to health and safety reasons we are only allowed to take 2 bicycles on this train, will passengers who want to bring a bicycle on the train please reserve a place holder, as in future they will be refused access to the train”
A handful of observations:
- This is a train, people need to get to and from the station at both ends
- The train carries about 600 people, it is quite big, bicycles are quite small
- There is nowhere safe to lock up a bicycle at St Pancras station
- One of the selling points of the train is it is eco friendly
- People like riding bikes in London, Boris has bought hundreds of them
And here is the killer:
- Customers want to bring their bicycles on the train
Alternatively they could refuse fare paying customers access to the train and hide behind health and safety.
Nice work East Midlands Trains.